Friday, August 25, 2006

Open Letter to the ACLU

Dear ACLU:

Give it up! The president signed a bill protecting the cross in San Diego. Leave it be. I know you folks in the ACLU can’t stand us Christians, and we really get under your liberal skins, but please, leave that cross alone. Go find some other liberal, whiny cause to fight.

I apologize, I know I don’t sound very Christian, but I get so tired of the ACLU and its agenda against people merely wanting to publicly express their faith. The thing that gets me is that they’re like rabid pit bulls who won’t let go of your pant leg. It’s as if they don’t know how to not be sore losers or something.

Take, for example, this quote from an article at www.signonsandiego.com:
“The issue is still the same,” said David Blair-Loy, legal director for the ACLU in San Diego. “We believe it is equally unconstitutional under state law,
or federal law, for the government to subsidize, promote or endorse the Latin cross.”

Hello? We were formed as a Christian nation…and our founders came here so their faith could be expressed without fear of oppression. So, now, over 200 years later we have people within our borders trying to do the same thing, more or less, that the royals did over two centuries ago…keep people from freely expressing their faith.

No, the feds aren’t trying to fly in the face of Judaism or any other religion. They aren’t trying to force all US citizens to believe in Jesus Christ. That isn’t the point. The point is honoring our heritage as a nation, our *Christian* heritage.

I often jokingly say that the first two letters in ACLU stand for “anti Christian”, but as time goes on, I am convinced that, philosophically speaking, it is true.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To bad the fear policy of the Bush administration is succesfull in your personal life. You are willing to trade your civil rights for fake security; the rights your beloved founding fathers have fought so hard for.

I wish I could persua you to read some European newepapers, just to let you know how people overhere think of your president. Not to convince you to think otherwise but at least to show you a different view so you wouldn't express yourself like you know everything.

I personally don't understand how anyone can be a christian and at the same time defend a predisent who has been lying about so many things.

Thank God for Europe where you can express your so called liberal views and won't be called unpattriotic.

And please tell me, what is Bush - as a good christian - doing for the poor in your country?

Alan Wheeler said...

Hi there,
First of all, if you've read all of my entries, you'll see I've said I don't agree with everything the president has done or said.

That said, I know my views will get me some flak, but I expected that. Is Bush perfect? No! Do I know everything, or claim to, no! But, that's the beauty of this country. I can still express my *OPINION* and have it be just that...my opinion.

I would also add that, pefect or not, flawed or not, God calls me to respect and honor the leaders of my country. Does that mean to blindly follow them? No.

If I knew web addresses for european newspapers, I'd be glad to read them, but even then, I believe in what Bush is doing, in terms of the war on terror, and I'm not so sure my views will change any time soon, especially since I used to be a liberal, and have changed in recent years to a way of thinking that, to my mind, is more reasonable and sensible. Again, just my opinion.

Alan Wheeler said...

Oh, and I need to add one more comment here. I freely admit that Bush has blown it in regards to the poor. See? Just because I'm a conservative, doesn't mean I blind follow my conservative leaders. I'm not afraid to admit when they're flawed. I wish we could say the same thing about folks in Iran, and soon, we will be able to say it about those in Iraq.

This brings up my other beef with liberals: they seem to assume that we conservatives are blind little sheep who just go along with the party line. That's not always true. As stated in my other reply, these are my opinions. :)